Available Position: Legal Services Specialist – Nonprofit
About the Position:
The Legal Assistance Center is seeking an energetic, driven individual who is committed to the access to justice mission of the LAC and ready to fulfill that mission by providing legal services to the public.
About the Legal Assistance Center:
The Legal Assistance Center is a nonprofit legal self-help center. Seeking to assure access to justice for all, the LAC offers legal information, forms, resources, guidance, and referrals to members of our community seeking to solve basic civil legal problems and use the courts on their own.
The LAC is committed to providing accurate, high-quality, and useful legal information and resources designed to empower the people we serve to find workable solutions for themselves and their families. Respect for and understanding of those with unmet legal needs are central to the high-quality customer service expected from all LAC staff.
- Education: JD, BA/BS, Paralegal or Equivalent Experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Civil law and procedure
- Excellent listening and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Spanish language a plus
- Energetic commitment to service of others
- Professional, compassionate, and positive demeanor
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-priority environment
- Ability and commitment to engage in continuous learning
- Commitment to Access to Justice
- Understanding of staff and volunteer relationships
- Provide direct legal self-help services to the public
- Remain current on changes in applicable law, procedures, and forms
- Support the training and supervision of volunteers
- Support organizational operational and administrative needs
- Understand and advocate for access to justice and legal self-help
- Full-time and part-time options
- Location: Kent County Courthouse, Grand Rapids, MI
- Compensation: Based on skills and experience, consistent with nonprofit organizations
- Benefits include parking, retirement, and PTO; no health insurance
Send letter of application expressing your interest in this position and the experience, skills, and abilities that make you a qualified candidate along with a current resume to Executive Director, Legal Assistance Center, 180 Ottawa Ave NW, Suite 5100, Grand Rapids, MI 49503 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that the letter of application will serve as a writing sample.
Posted: June 1, 2023